Cattle Chutes - The Myths About Choosing The Right Chute Debunked
1. Myth: All chutes have the same features.
FACT: There are different design features you need to review before purchasing a chute. These include the headgate and latching system, protruding handles and levers, squeeze system, side exit, general or overall construction, options and head gate style. ().
2. Myth: The width of the chute is the same no matter which chute I use.
FACT: Busted by, a curved chute can have extra width. The height will also vary slightly depending on your breed of cattle.
3. Myth: Headgates and squeeze chutes provide similar restraint.
FACT: Actually, a squeeze chute provides greater control over the animal. ().
4. Myth: I can build a head gate, and it will work as well as one I can purchase.
FACT: Home made, wooden, and purchased guillotine-style gates are dangerous. The safest and most efficient choices are heavy-duty, adjustable, walk-through, self-catching or scissor-type steel headgates. Handles should be out of your way, and the headgate should catch cattle by the side of the neck to minimize choking. ().
5. Myth: Hydraulic chutes are only for large operations.
FACT: With a, you can make a better experience for the cattle with quieter equipment and a more efficient system for you and your employees.
About the Author
Dana CharbanAs a small town girl from rural Manitoba, Dana Charban grew up around agriculture and farming her en...
More Information on Dana Charban
Email Dana Charban: